Utah based entrepreneur Linda Rawson has spent much of the last year writing a book about contracting for the Federal Government. She has employed an under used Federal program designed for women and minorities in technical businesses to build and grow her own business DynaGrace Enterprises. The interview has been edited for space and clarity.
What’s the book about?
The Minority and Woman-Owned Small Business Guide to Government Contracts: Everything You Need to Know to Get Started takes the complication out of getting started in government contracting when you are a small business. Don’t learn the hard way. Utilize the steps outlined in this book to navigate through the massive amount of paperwork.
Why did you write it?
This book came about because of my experiences as a Woman-Owned, Minority Small Business. There are several types of government contracts and the one I am most familiar with provides services to the Department of Defense (DoD), commonly called the Federal Government. I want to share my knowledge about obtaining government contracts. There have been experiences along the way that I feel I should have known right from the beginning to hit the road running.
Who do you see reading it?
Minority and Women entrepreneurs who want to start or grow their business by utilizing government programs.
What do you hope they learn from it?
What programs are available and how to search for government work.
Was there anything in your background that provided experience in the subject matter?
I own a Woman-Owned, Minority Small Business and have been obtaining government contracts for almost a decade.
How long did it take you to write?
5 months. I set aside 30 minutes per day.
How did you do it?
I started with an outline and starting filling in the chapters.
Tell us about the editing and publishing process?
I self edited and self published. I had a consultant help me with the publishing process.
Where can people get it?
Will you be doing any book signings or readings?
I do not have any scheduled but the possibility is real.
Book summary from the back jacket cover:
The author, Linda Rawson, CEO, and Founder of DynaGrace Enterprises started her company initially called Sensory Technology Consultants, in 2006. DynaGrace Enterprises (DGE) is 100 percent Women-Owned Small Business and is SBA 8(a) certified and has done over $1 billion dollars of DoD government contracts. Linda shares her knowledge of government contracting to help you get started.
In this book you will learn:
· Why you would consider obtaining government contracts to help your business be profitable
· How to get started in government contracting including government systems that you need to register on
· How to correctly set up your accounting system to ensure proper classification of revenue and expenses
· How to apply for and obtain socioeconomic status to get government contract set-asides
· Documented examples of how to search for government work with step-by-step instructions
· How to market the federal government including marketing artifacts and social media strategies
· A brief overview of how to respond to government contracting opportunities
· Some excellent human resource tips
Thanks to Linda for providing her insight on government contracting and how she literally wrote the book about it in five months. For more about Linda, visit her website.